The main therapeutic objectives in treating metastatic disease are prolonging life (also called “Survival”) and Quality of Life (QoL), knowing the disease will stay in the body for life.
*** This trial achieved complete disappearance of disease ***
About the MERECA trial –
The international, randomized, open-label, phase II MERECA trial enrolled 88 newly diagnosed, intermediate and poor-prognosis patients with metastatic renal cancer. Patients were randomized to receive Sutent (also called “Sunitinib”) plus Ilixadencel or Sutent alone.
The combination of ilixadencel vaccination and Sutent elicited 11% complete response (CR) rate in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC), according to findings from the phase II MERECA trial: 5 out of 45 metastatic kidney cancer patients (11%) in contrast to 1 out of 25 in the sutent monotherapy control arm (4%).
The safety and tolerability data were similar between the 2 arms, and was consistent with prior clinical findings with ilixadencel.
About Ilixadencel –
Ilixadencel uses dendritic cells sourced from healthy human donors that are specifically activated to produce significant amounts of immune stimulatory factors. By administration through intratumoral injection, these cells induce a local inflammatory reaction, leading to destruction of tumor cells, and recruitment and activation of the patient’s own dendritic cells into the tumor environment.
Dendritic cells are part of the immune system.
About renal cell cancer –
- Renal cell cancer is a disease in which cancer cells form in tubules of the kidney.
- Smoking and misuse of certain pain medicines can affect the risk of renal cell cancer.
- Signs of renal cell cancer include blood in the urine and a lump in the abdomen.
- The therapeutic effect of existing treatments is often of short duration with limited survival gain. With no alternatives to these therapies, there exists a relatively large unsatisfied medical need for new treatments that are effective and have less unwanted side effects.
Take-home messages –
- Patient with kidney cancer who participated in this clinical trial remarkably increased their chances to live and be cured.
- Take control and do not miss fateful opportunities like this one.
- The best treatment for a cancer patient is to get the most advanced cancer drugs in advanced stages of development. There, the hope and the chance to extend life go far beyond the standard protocols.
Contact us to find out what is the best treatment for YOU
Do not give up on life!
Contact us 24/7 for free service matching:
Call center +44.2082.426.039